These are complemented each semester by lecture-based modules ranging from theory of architecture and philosophy of arts, to materials, construction and environmental design, from urban studies to professional practice. Unlike other programmes, history of Asian and western architecture are both integrated and equally important in the curriculum.
This is the first Bachelor of Architecture at a Chinese university to receive validation from the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). In their last accreditation report, the RIBA board commended the ambitious vision of the department and the university, the dedication of the staff and the provision of “exceptional workshop facilities, studios and resources”, as well as the diversity and richness of the design briefs. In previous visits the department was also praised for "creating a distinctive environment in which students learn from an international and Chinese context with an ambition to produce a new type of graduate, with an emphasis on human-centred architecture, for the emerging global context", and for promoting an "alternative model for Chinese architecture education [...] challenging both Western and Chinese educational paradigms for architecture and design".
Why should I study Architecture at XJTLU?
- Graduate from a programme accredited by RIBA and receive Part 1 validation, with the possibility to register for a Part 2-validated Master through the “Global Professional Architect Track”
- Enjoy field trips, internships and study opportunities in China and abroad, including the chance to complete your education at the University of Liverpool or to spend Year Three at Politecnico di Torino in Italy
- Participate in local and international workshops with world-famous architects, as well as guest lectures, exhibitions, competitions and conferences
- Learn from award-winning international academics and highly-engaged practitioners
- Study in world-class facilities including dedicated design studios open 24/7, a materials library, and fabrication and printing workshops equipped with the most advanced printers, laser cutters, robotic arms and 3D printers
- Enjoy the opportunity to be published in the XJTLU Architecture Yearbook or to be featured in one of the exhibitions organised by the department every year
- Experience an architecturally outstanding location in Suzhou, famous for its classical UNESCO World Heritage gardens and architecture and 30 minutes by train from Shanghai.
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
The BEng Architecture programme has become the first programme of its kind at a Chinese university to receive validation by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), thus demonstrating XJTLU's commitment to providing world-class, internationally recognised education to students from China and abroad.
The Royal Institute commended the Department of Architecture and its staff for “creating a distinctive environment in which students learn from an international and Chinese context with an ambition to produce a new type of graduate, with an emphasis on human-centred architecture, for the emerging global context."